Wednesday, June 6, 2012

First night off of the week

This morning was one of the few that I was able to make it to the daily morning workout with Rachel.  We went to the Chelsea Rec. Center at 6:30 a.m. and made our way upstairs to the weight room.  Today was just a casual “do whatever you want” day, so we paired up and just did our own thing.  Matt Mascolo and I decided to do cleans, which we paid for the next day when walking up the subway stairs was a huge struggle.  I left at 8 a.m. to go back to the New School and get ready for work.

Since this was the 3rd day of my internship, I hadn’t quite mastered the subway system yet, so I ended up showing up 3 minutes late for work because I took 1 of the 3 legs of my trip in the wrong direction.  I’m pretty sure that I’ve done that at least once a day so far!  The subway system is really confusing for a non-New York native.  When the signs say “Uptown & Queens” or “Downtown & Brooklyn”, it doesn’t mean anything to me because I don’t know where any of these areas are.  I wish the signs would just say “increasing numbers this way, decreasing numbers this way” to make it easier, or even just “Northbound, Southbound” would be great.

My internship is at InsideOut Sports & Entertainment, and one of our biggest events of the year is the Champions Tennis Series in the fall (now called the Powershares Series).  It's a competitive tennis circuit featuring legends Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, John McEnroe, Jim Courier, Michael Chang, and Mats Wilander.  The tour is played in 12 major arenas around the US, and in each city, players share on-court expertise in exclusive clinics for sponsors, and mingle with the VIP guests at receptions.  My main task this week was to research brands that are currently sponsoring athletes/events so that we might contact them about sponsoring the Powershares Series if it seems appropriate.

At the end of the work day, we had a social media meeting with a guy from a company called “M 80”, and he basically went over with us what strategies to use to increase our ticket sales (e.g: deals on groupon, 4-square, twitter raffles, facebook contests, etc) and what to do to skew our demographic a little younger than it is now.

I was planning on going to swim practice after work, but the media meeting went pretty late, and the Chelsea Rec. Center only has lap swim at weird times, so I wasn’t able to swim.  Instead, I went back to the dorms and decided to go out to dinner with some of the people in the program who were back from work.  Since there was no speaker tonight, we had the night to relax.  We went to Lucky’s Burgers, which was on 23rd just down the street, it was really good!  I’d  recommend it to everyone.

After that we went home and the guys went to watch the OKC-SA basketball game.  I was planning on joining them, but I had just gotten my packages from Fedex shipped to the building (which I had been waiting for 6 days to receive!), so I was busy unpacking my things.  I walked in to the Matts’ room around 11:30 p.m. to watch the game, but unfortunately it had just ended.  That was pretty much the end of Day 4 of my MSBA adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment