Saturday, June 23, 2012

Randall's Island with HSSM mentees

Kayla and I!
At noon we all arrived at Randall's Island, ready to spend time with the High School of Sports Management (HSSM) students we would be paired with.  Today was significant for us because it was the first time we would be able to talk to and hang out with our mentees.  As one of the pillars of the MSBA program, mentorship works both ways for us.  As participants of the program, we were each assigned a mentor to provide guidance and support for us.  Thus, to reciprocate and learn what it takes to maintain that kind of relationship, we were put in the position of being mentors for some of the HSSM students.


There were a handful of available games to participate in, including volleyball, basketball, bocce ball, batting cages, mini-golf, Frisbee, and we even played musical chairs.  There was also food provided for us underneath a tent, and we were able to sit with our mentees over lunch to discuss college life, career paths, and to answer any questions they had.  Overall, it was a very active and fun afternoon, and the weather was good to us the entire time.  The Governor’s Ball was also at Randall’s Island that day, so we were able to listen to the concert while hanging out with our mentees.


Around 4 p.m., we headed back to the dorms, and I hopped on a train to meet my friend to go shopping. It was my first time in SoHo and I was glad to have someone with me who knew where our favorite stores were, because it was overwhelming to see the entire street extend for blocks ahead and not know where anything was! 



Today was also the day my teammate from college (Abby Nunn) swam the Manhattan Island MarathonSwim.  Unfortunately, I was unable to make it out to see her, but she finished the 28.5 mile swim around Manhattan Island in FIRST PLACE with a time of 7 hours and 36 minutes!  What a rockstar (this is her to the right--->).


After I came back from SoHo, another friend from school who is working in New York this summer, came to visit and we went to the movie theater to see Madagascar 3.  It was pretty awesome, I am not gonna lie.  It was a busy and tiring day, but I had a lot of fun!  And I can’t wait until the next time we get to see our HSSM mentees :)

No comments:

Post a Comment